My other travel blog, with posts about travelling Asia, living in Fiji and more, can be found at
http://jenmarysmithtravels.blogspot.co.uk

If you would like to contact me, my email is jenmarysmith5@gmail.com

Wednesday 24 December 2014

A Quick Word About Caga Tio...

...because I cannot let Christmas pass by without speaking about this, frankly, bizarre Catalan Christmas tradition for kids. Don't get me wrong, I love it- I just can't quite get my head around it!

Here is a little video introduction, sung by the lovely Norah Jones:


So, here is what happens with this strange little piece of wood with a painted face on it. On the 8th December, parents put out a Caga Tio with a tiny blanket over it. The kids then feed the log (orange peel seems to be a popular choice). The Caga Tio then gets increasingly bigger (an expense for the parents, I should imagine). Then on Christmas Eve or Day, the children sing the song while hitting their beloved Caga Tio with sticks. Why? To help the log poop out chuches (sweets), of course.

I had the privilege of owning two Caga Tios- one in my flat (though this one never grew- we are clearly not as dedicated as Catalan parents), and one at school.

Our resident caga tio!

Isn't he adorable (even if you know what he gets up to under that blanket...)


 Our class took it in turn in groups of four to hit the Caga with sticks, to make sure all of those chuches came out. There were also dozens of Caga Tios on sale at the markets in front of the Cathedral, as well as caganers (a pooping figure).If it floats your boat, there are also famous versions of the caganer- just in case you ever wondered what Obama or the Queen of England looked like pooping.

Ahh, kooky Catalunya, how I love thee and your crazy ways. Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment