My other travel blog, with posts about travelling Asia, living in Fiji and more, can be found at
http://jenmarysmithtravels.blogspot.co.uk

If you would like to contact me, my email is jenmarysmith5@gmail.com

Thursday 16 April 2015

A Crazy and Colourful Weekend

So, last weekend was filled with all sorts of fun! Firstly, Meg and Bernie came to stay- it was lovely to catch up with the girls and show them around this crazy, beautiful city. I actually went somewhere completely new as well- the Mercat de la Boqueria, just down the road from me- where we found some awesome seafood and chorizo tapas, and I introduced the girls to one of my favourite drinks here- a 'clara' (half beer, half Fanta Limon). A few drinks by the beach, a quick wander in Parc Guell (which we still can't quite pronounce in the Catalan way), a visit to our favourite bar in Born, Cal Brut...and a house party with KFC, fuet, gin and tonics, and good times.

I didn't have long to feel sad after the girls left on Sunday; I headed straight away to Placa Cataluyna to join the start line of the famous 10km Cursa del Corte Ingles, alongside 80,000 people. I knew this race was going to be a little hillier than my previous efforts, but it was also completely free- and you know me, I can never resist a bargain. In the end, it turned out to be the toughest, but most fun race I've ever done. I thought I was going to vomit running up the long, gradual hill of Montjuic- but it was suddenly worth it when, at the top, we ran around the track of the Olympic stadium. For a moment, I could imagine that I was an Olympic athlete...an illusion quickly shattered as I felt sick running up the next hill. Anyway, it was definitely a race to remember, and one that I would recommend.

But the weekend did not stop there; as soon as I got home from the race, I was donning my white clothes ready for another free event- the Holi festival. Traditionally an Indian festival, Holi is the 'festival of colours' (see here for more information), and basically involves everybody throwing coloured powder at each other to become human rainbows. In between covering each other with all the colours under the sun, we enjoyed a little live Bollywood dancing. Around 20,000 people were there, but thankfully, everyone seemed in the highest spirits- it's hard not to smile when you look so ridiculous! Thanks to Julie, Elena, Silvia and Astrid for being fantastic colourful companions- am now definitely excited for the 5k Colour Run in Barcelona.

So that was my mental, magical weekend- and there is no rest for the wicked! We are headed to what looks like a thundery, rainy San Sebastian this weekend to experience a sagardotegi (Basque cider house). Who cares about the rain when where are pintxos and sidra?

Enjoy the photos below- the first few are shamelessly stolen from Megan (thanks Meg!).




























No comments:

Post a Comment