My other travel blog, with posts about travelling Asia, living in Fiji and more, can be found at
http://jenmarysmithtravels.blogspot.co.uk

If you would like to contact me, my email is jenmarysmith5@gmail.com

Thursday 13 August 2015

A Hot, Hot July in Barcelona...

So, this July has been spent mostly working in ASB's summer school in the cool air conditioning, and trying not to melt everywhere else. 

This summer has made me realise that I want to be a teacher. Sometimes, hazy plans in your mind become clear in an instant- and when they do, you let go of that breath you didn't even know you were holding. I'm sure I'll still be analysing my options right to the end, like I always do- but for now, I have a clear (ish) goal.
 
Back to less serious stuff. In between working at ASB and figuring out life plans, I managed to squeeze in a little of what Barna has to offer in the summer. We only scratched the surface...though all the locals seem to scarper as soon as the summer comes, I think July in Barcelona is fantastic. The Sala Montjuic- an outdoor cinema in the grounds of the lovely Montjuic Castle- was a definite highlight. It was also fun to head down to the nearby beach town Sitges (like Brighton in every sense, if you get my drift) to visit my friend Hanny, who introduced me to one of the best 'Menu del Dia' places I've been to in Cataluyna, 'Can Xavi'. On Thursdays, it's 'Paella Day', so what was supposed to be a small lunch turned into a feast!. We saw my friend Briana play in the majestic University of Barcelona grounds; the Uni always has free food and music events. And one of my personal favourites- we found a small, intimate blues festival up in the grounds on Poble Espanyol. Seeing the Blues Prisoners play as the sun set was a great
 
This is just a taster of what the city had to offer. On top of that, one of my best friends chose to have her hen party here too. Verity planned an awesome hen do- flamenco show, posh cocktails, lovely meal at Los Siete Portas, beach time...we certainly made the most of Barcelona!

Blues band that played before the movie.






















 

No comments:

Post a Comment