My other travel blog, with posts about travelling Asia, living in Fiji and more, can be found at
http://jenmarysmithtravels.blogspot.co.uk

If you would like to contact me, my email is jenmarysmith5@gmail.com

Tuesday 8 July 2014

La Primera Semana...

So, here we are...one week down, three weeks to go. Everyone who has done the Teaching English as a Foreign Language course told me that it was a little intense, but I still don't think I was prepared for just how intense the course would be.

But let's hold up, and start from the beginning. I'm currently staying with the lovely Francesca and Marc, British and Spanish respectively- and the location of their apartment is awesome. We're right on one of the many squares of the Gothic Quarter, which is still my favourite part of Barca. The centuries-old narrow windows that have washing lines attached, the dozens of identical windows surrounding us from every angle...this truly feels like quintessential Barcelona living.

How am I feeling about the course itself? A little overwhelmed right now, if I'm honest...but I guess that's to be expected. We were teaching a 45 minute lesson almost every day from the second day of the course- and considering that the most day was mostly admin and course overview, most of all didn't really know what we were doing. Although a little intimidating, it's always good to be thrown into the deep end; you just have to remember that the people you are teaching are really decent people, and willing to learn. What is the worst that can happen?

One week on, I'm definitely getting into my stride a little bit more. I've met some great people- a few Americans, a few Brits, a Greek, a Ukranian, a Singaporean and a Bosnian- and had a few late nights with them all. I've managed to do a little exploring- wandering around the old city on Sunday, I accidentally found the archeological ruins in the old market hall of El Born. I love the story behind these- the city's council actually wanted to build a library in this disused market hall, but when they were digging up the foundations, they found an amazingly-well preserved mini-city lying underneath. You can make out the houses, the roads- even the local pub! I feel like Barcelona is a city of accidental surprises- and I can't wait to uncover them all.

My goals for the next few weeks:

1. Pass the course has to rate pretty highly here
2. Practice my Spanish more regularly, and not rely on people's knowledge of English
3. Discover more local places for cava, cidra, and tapas
4. Branch out to some of the quieter beaches to the north of the city
5. Use the Metro as little as possible

Let's see what the next few weeks will bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment