My other travel blog, with posts about travelling Asia, living in Fiji and more, can be found at
http://jenmarysmithtravels.blogspot.co.uk

If you would like to contact me, my email is jenmarysmith5@gmail.com

Thursday 31 July 2014

My Final Verdict On The TEFL Course...

So, it's been almost a week since I've finished the course- I just can't believe how quickly this summer is going!! It literally feels like I have blinked, and the course is suddenly over.

The last few weeks of the course were pretty intense, as I thought they would be. The teaching gradually got easier as I got more used to it, but we had increasingly more coursework due, alongside all of our lesson plans. In order to not feel swamped, this course would be best completed in 5 weeks; however, I guess the intensity of the course prepares you for the time management needed when teaching! We had to complete a detailed analysis of one learner, a Teaching Practice log, and an assignment on one material that we created ourselves, all while planning our lessons! It's definitely tough, but luckily my course-mates were always there to make me laugh and keep me sane (or keep me insane, not sure at this point!!)...

I know when I was looking for possible TEFL courses to do and trying to decide whether the CELTA or TrinityTESOL, the whole process just made me dizzy, and I really valued recommendations either way. So, I'd just like to say how awesome this course really was (and no, I wasn't paid to say that!). Here is the website, if you want to take a sneaky peek: http://www.oxfordtefl.com. Of course, the people I met on the course really helped to make the whole experience more fun, but the course itself really was a good introduction to the TEFL world.

If you are considering taking a TEFL course at Oxford House, just a few things to be aware of:

- You will be teaching from the very second day of the course. Is this terrifying? Yes! Will you feel a little overwhelmed on the first night? Probably. But trust me, this was the best thing they could have done to trainees. It means there's no scary build up to the teaching, and straight away you are putting into practice all the teaching methods that you are learning. Also, by the time you get to your teaching in the final week, you feel like a pro!
- This is related to the first one, but just try to relax from the first day, and accept that you are a novice- you do have a long way to go, and your first few lessons are going to be far from perfect, so just accept it and try to improve with every lesson you teach.
- You are going to have very little time during the course to actually enjoy Barcelona, so if you are only coming for the course and then heading back to your home country, I'd definitely recommend booking at least an extra week. Don't get me wrong, we had fun during the course in between assignments- work hard, play hard is my mantra- but guilt-free sightseeing really is the best. When the sun's shining outside, and the beach is only a 15 minute walk away, sometimes (OK, all the time) its difficult to keep your motivation up for studying. However, you've got to keep reminding yourself that it is only 4 weeks, so just throw yourself into the course, and think of all the sangrias and cava you can treat yourself to later on.
- Come with an open mind and ability to take constructive criticism. It's always tricky to be told that you're a bit rubbish at first, but you have to remember that everyone is a bit rubbish- and the tutors (especially Cat!), are amazing at making you take the positives from every lesson. The tutors really were fantastic at bringing out the best in us, without being patronising.
- Get a Nostrum card. Seriously, the best investment you can ever make. You'll see what I mean if you come here. When you're feeling particularly awesome, treat yourself to a local 'menu-del-dia' at lunchtime instead- starter, main, dessert and glass of wine for only 10 euros.

It's actually been tricky adjusting to having nothing to do during the days...but we're managing to find things to fill our time! All details of our life apres-TEFL will be coming in the next post- here are a few pics of the celebratory drinks on the last day of the course (thanks to Joy for the photos- click here to see her blog)

School photo! (l-r) Top: Frank, Jon, Bryony, Ben, Mila, Chris
Bottom: Ash, Cathy, Sasha, Erin, me, Eva
Joy, Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment