My other travel blog, with posts about travelling Asia, living in Fiji and more, can be found at
http://jenmarysmithtravels.blogspot.co.uk

If you would like to contact me, my email is jenmarysmith5@gmail.com

Tuesday 6 January 2015

Nose-Diving into 2015, Barca Style...

The first few days of 2015 have certainly been very different to previous years! This time last year, I would have called you mad if you had told me I would be voluntarily running a 10K race on New Year's Eve, let alone enjoy it! It was great fun running with my Norwegian housemate Monica- we went our own ways during the race, and then met at the finish line, 2 minutes apart. During the race I saw a dinosaur, a karate team, a man running with his dog, and two men running with their babies...quite the eclectic crowd. I managed to finish the race with a new personal best as well- 1 hour 2 minutes. With my running, my main concern has always been actually finishing the race without walking, so to actually beat my previous 10K time was a very pleasant surprise! The next race I will be running is the Barcelona Half Marathon...I ran 18.5K for the first time yesterday, so slowly getting to the required distance. That race is truly going to be about just finishing without walking- just one of the inspirations from Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. Finishing when you can still do more, the way he compares marathon running with the same stamina needed to write a novel...there is a lot I can learn from Murakami.

Oh, and why the weird title, I hear you ask? It's because the 10k race was called the Cursa dels Nassos, or the Nose Race! Monica gave me a good explanation as to why this was so: "because, once, on this day, a man once had as many noses as days left in the year."





So, there aren't many pictures from our NYE. We had a pretty relaxed evening in the flat, eating the 12 grapes at each stroke of midnight, as per Spanish tradition, and had gin-and-tonics and good conversation to see in the New Year. Below are some photos from the following days, with Rosh and my housemates- both from our favourite cheap cocktail haunt, Sugar, and up at Parc Guell. Enjoy!














No comments:

Post a Comment